Sibling Petitions

Green Card for Sibling of United States Citizens

As a United States citizen, you can petition all your siblings born outside of the U.S. to come live as permanent residents in the United States. The process of petitioning your siblings starts with a petition using Form I-130 for a sibling, evidence, and payment of government fees. You must prove the family relationship with your siblings, including the name of parents and whether they were married or not. As a petitioner, you must also prove that you are a United States citizen and over 21 years of age.

Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens fall into the fourth preference category called F4. There are always more people applying than there is a number of visas available for the F4 category. Therefore, your petition for a sibling will take various years before the immigrant visa is available.

It is currently taking about 12 years to obtain an immigrant visa for a sibling. This wait time may change from year to year depending on how many people apply and the number of visas available. After you submit your Form I-130 for a sibling, we recommend checking the USCIS website on a regular basis by clicking here

You may also check the U.S. Department of State visa by clicking here

Once USCIS approves the Form I-130 for the sibling petition, USCIS automatically sends the file to the U.S. Department of State, National Visa Center (NVC) for consular processing. NVC holds the file until the visa becomes available. Once it is available, NVC will contact the U.S. citizen petitioner by email with instructions on how to proceed. This involves payment of the immigrant visa fees and affidavit of support (Form I-864).

The Form I-864 affidavit of support is a legal requirement for the process. The goal is to ensure that U.S. your sibling does not become a public charge. A public charge is a person that uses financial government assistance for subsistence to survive.

The Form I-864 affidavit of support requires that the U.S. citizen petitioner sign a contract with the government of the U.S. confirming that he/she will be financially responsible for the sibling. You will also promise that the sibling will not seek public assistance from the U.S. government. The Form I-864 affidavit of support requires that you prove you meet the minimum income requirements with your tax returns and proof of employment among other things.

Once everything is complete, the sibling will be scheduled for an interview at the Embassy/Consulate in the country of residence. The sibling must bring a police certificate to prove good moral character, a medical exam by an approved panel doctor, a biometric card, original of civil documents, and a valid passport.

If everything is done correctly, the Consular Officer approves the immigrant visa. Your sibling receives a stamp on the passport with an immigrant visa. This allows the sibling to enter the United States as a green card holder. Once the sibling is in the United States, the government mails the green card and social security card to the U.S. address. The green card for sibling authorizes the sibling to live to work in the U.S.

How Terra Immigration Helps

If you are a United States citizen, we encourage you to submit your Form I-130 for sibling as soon as possible. Once it is submitted, you have reserved a place in line and eventually, your sibling will receive the immigrant visa and green card. Therefore, do not delay and submit the petition. If there is a change of circumstances, you can withdraw the petition, so you are not obligated in any way.

Our immigration attorneys submit the best Form I-130 petition for sibling the first time. We accompany your case and communicate with the U.S. government on your behalf. We give you the proper guidance so that you can keep track of your petition.

Let’s talk about your Immigration case.